The ADAPTED consortium:
The European Joint Doctorate ADAPTED is a consortium of European Universities, important internationally active European development organisations and think tanks and six African partner universities. Within ADAPTED,
- The European universities – including Ruhr University Bochum, Germany (coordinator), Erasmus University Rotterdam and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, Boğaziçi University, Turkey, and Centre National de Recherche Scientifique in partnership with Université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne, France – will host the ESRs, direct their research, organise training and implement the European Joint Doctorate based on project-specific binational agreements (cotutelles de these),
- The Agence Française de Développement (AFD), the Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungs GmbH (DEG) and the Centre for Research on Multinational Corporations (SOMO) host selected ESRs during non-academic secondments and add to the intersectoral relevance of the research done within the consortium while the European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI) provides ESRs with advice and training on the dissemination of research output and acts as a global dissemination platform for the ESRs
- Researchers from six cooperating African partner universities, including the University of the Western Cape and the University of Cape Town (South Africa), Bahir Dar University (Ethiopia), University of Development Studies (Ghana), Moi University (Kenya), and University of Douala (Cameroon), will supervise ESRs during fieldwork, provide them with access to local actors and to locally available data sets and link them to the non-academic sector in the fieldwork countries.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEconomics: Master Degree or equivalentJuridical sciences: Master Degree or equivalentPolitical sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Applicants shall demonstrate a proven interest in interdisciplinary and inter-sectoral research as well as a specific interest in the ADAPTED research areas as evidenced by the application documents. The following requirements are to be met: (1) a previous degree from a recognized university which qualifies for doctoral studies, (2) graded at least upper 2nd or equivalent, (3) in a subject relevant for the planned doctoral studies (Economics, Social or Political Science, Law, and related relevant disciplines), proved by submission of degree certificates and transcripts, (4) English language proficiency proof for non-native speakers equivalent to CEFR level C1 (IELTS 7) or above.
Specific selection criteria for individual ESR projects are detailed in the respective project description which are available via the ADAPTED website. Please also make yourself familiar with specific offers for ESRs and procedures at the respective recruiting institution. Relevant information is provided in individual ESR offers available via the ADAPTED website.
ADAPTED is committed to offer equal opportunities and therefore seeks to recruit a gender balanced group of ESRs. It further aims to support Early Stage Researchers through a family friendly working environment. This is in line with benefits offered by the MSCA programme, which offers highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions. Successful candidates will be offered a full-time position for a duration of 36 months. In accordance with the MSCA regulations for ESRs the salary includes the following elements:
- Living allowance: basic, gross amount before taxation and compulsory deductions for contributions to social insurance schemes according to national law. The basic amount of the living allowance is EUR 3 270 per month. To ensure equal treatment and purchasing power parity, this amount is then adjusted through the application of a correction coefficient based on the country in which the ESR will be recruited.
- Mobility allowance of EUR 600 per month
- Family allowance of EUR 500 per month for ESRs who have a family (persons linked to the researcher by marriage or a relationship with equivalent status to a marriage recognised by the legislation of the country where this relationship was formalised or dependent children who are actually being maintained by the researcher) at the time of recruitment.
Information regarding additional benefits – depending on the recruiting university – is available via individual descriptions of ESR positions on the ADAPTED website.
Recruiting is in accordance with the European rules of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN regulations for Early Stage Researchers (ESRs). Applicants can be of any nationality but must not have resided or carried out any main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting university for more than 12 months in the last 3 years prior to being recruited as ESR. In addition, applicants must have less than 4 years of postgraduate research experience at the time of recruitment.
- Please submit your application electronically (one pdf-file) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Non-extendable deadline for applications is 31.03.2021 at 23:00 pm (GET)
- Applicants shortlisted for telephone interviews will be notified by 30.04.2021
- Telephone/video interviews will take place during the first half of May
- All applicants will receive notifications about the results of the ADAPTED selection procedure by 15.05.2021
- Offer letters will be sent until 15.06.2021
- The recruitment procedure will close and the EJD programme will start on 01.09.2021
Documents to be submitted:
- Motivation letter (max. 2 pages) which includes a statement explaining the interest in the particular ESR project the application is referring to (1st priority ESR). Applicants interested in more than just one ESR project should share this information in the motivation letter by indicating a 2nd and max. 3rd priority.
- Current CV (please use the Europass template)
- Certified copies of relevant university degree certificates and related detailed transcripts of records.
- Recognised English language proficiency certificate (equivalent to CEFR level C1 = TOEFL 94, IELTS 7)
- Short literature review (4-5 pages) linked to the topic of the ESR project which is the 1st priority of the applicant.
- At least two academic recommendation letters
- Copy of the passport valid at least until the end of 2021. Applicants with two or more nationalities can use just one passport and apply only once.